Tuesday, February 22, 2011

$10 DIY Headboard





As renters, our bedroom was kinda bland. Like, embarrassingly bland. Here it is before: 
I've made a headboard for our bed before when we were living in San Francisco, but when it was time to move, our Cal King size DIY headboard was just too monstrous to move cross-country. 
I wanted to do something that would have a lot of impact for not a lot of cash, so I got a bit creative. I had some sturdy poster board from the dollar store lying around, as well as some extra trim, batting and burlap. So I taped my poster board together: 
(note- I would not use electrical tape next time since it shows through the thin burlap, just a little)

Then traced my design and cut it out with a boxcutter:


And used the cut out portion as a template for the other side, so that they were even: 

Then using spray adhesive. I patched together some batting scraps I had left over from previous projects: 

This is where it starts to look a little like Frankenstein. 
I then laid the poster board on top of the burlap and upholstered it using a regular staple gun. I folded the burlap back on itself before stapling so it had a little something to hold on to. 

Then, I secured the back together even more using some twine, hot glue and staples to create a zig zag pattern that secured all the boards together even more. 

Now, to hang it- I tried using picture hangers on some parts of the twine... not good. 
Soooo I nailed it to the wall. Haha. Well, its about as much damage as a picture hanger, and it stays flush! 

Here's the cost breakdown: 
Poster board $1 ea x 3 = $3
Burlap $2/yd x 2.5 = $5
Trim $1/yd x 2 = $2
= $10! 

Not bad! For less than a cocktail we gave our bedroom a big facelift! 
Also, want to know a secret? That trim isn't glued on- nope! I just pinned it on with straight pins. So if I want to throw out the headboard when we move, or use the trim for another project, it just comes straight off!


This is a great idea for renters, who don't want to deal with bolting a huge piece of plywood to the wall. It's light enough that a nail on each side holds her up, and cheap enough that if you don't want to carry it on to your next place, your guilt factor for just throwing it out is pretty low. 



34 comments:

  1. A very creative idea! I have a friend to share this with, she would love this idea for her rental!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so hard to find things that look great but are cheap and disposable - I'm very pleased with how the headboard turned out. Let me know if she makes one!

    xo
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  3. Margaret,
    Just found your blog through Tumblr and we are in love! We love this project in particular, we actually just had to show our readers how cool it was! http://yaydiy.com/2011/02/yes-please-a-10-diy-headboard/

    Looks like we are into much of the same stuff - crafting and food - so can't wait to read you from this day forward!

    Take care! Lia and Erin of Yay! DIY

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have got to be kidding. Poster? It looks incredible. I love the fabric and the trim. I am amazed right now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Unreal. I love this. What a great idea. It looks fabulous. Thanks for joining TTT. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had to post about this. Truly amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are a genius! I can't believe this! Thank you so much for sharing this! Tons of hugs! Xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. it looks beautiful!!! i love upholstered headboards, but you cannot beat that price! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow.. poster board! who knew!! great job & love the creativity! i'm a new fan! :)
    blessings,
    -tracie

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the way you think! I'm a new follower & can't wait to see more!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Who would have thought! Very creative! I will definately be back for more!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm sooooo lovin' your idea...it looks outstanding! I'm going to pass it on to my daughter.

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  13. Margaret, this turned out so great! I love that you just pinned the trim on too. I also love the prints you hung above it. Really pretty.

    Thanks so much for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Came over from J and J....WOW! What a great job you did....I'm almost speechless...can't believe it was poster board!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Also coming over from JandJ. Very impressive indeed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article. I am hoping the same best work from you in the future as well. pencil sketch


      Delete
  16. Thanks, everyone! To those interested in those prints- those were also a cheapy DIY and I'm posting about those in a day or two.

    Thanks for stopping by!

    xo
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is fab! I never would have guessed that was poster board. Love it! Just found your lovely blog through WUW. I'm your newest follower and would be delighted to have you follow me back!
    Have a wonderful day,
    Tammy @www.beatricebanks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. It looks fantastic! I love seeing creative ways to make a headboard. Glad I caught this over at Savvy Southern Style's party.

    ReplyDelete
  19. That is very creative and it looks great. Thanks for joining WUW, but I need a link to the party added to your post, please.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is fabulous! It looks so wonderful, you are so creative!
    Thanks for linking, hope your having a great day!
    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow! What a neat idea! It turned out really great! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  22. That's amazing! Excellent job. I am so impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great idea! The headboard looks fantastic. So glad I came across your blog. I'm a new follower.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Awesome idea! Thanks
    www.dashing-home.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. Just stopping by to steal a pic for your feature. Look for it sometime before noon cst. PS: I'm your newest follower! :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow. I'm now a follower. That was amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow!
    That looks spectacular.
    And you wouldn't know by looking at it that it only cost you $10!
    great job.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I very rarely stand straight up beside my desk and applaud- but baby I am doin that very thing right now.. Can ya here it?? the applause is thundering in the room...
    You WIN the creativity award and I am gonna give this a try in my spare bedroom.. when I do I plan to link over here so you can get the credit you so richly deserve...

    YEA YEA YEA~!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow! We rent too and I was thinking on how to make something like that. You showed me how. Thank you very much for the tutorial...looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  30. This is great! Cheap and easy with pretty results, my kind of project! :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Positive site, where did u come up with the information on this posting? I'm pleased I discovered it though, ill be checking back soon to find out what additional posts you include. prevent headboard from hitting the wall

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment! I'd love to hear from you!